ESA supports St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
In 1972, ESA officially recognized St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
– the largest center for treatment and research of pediatric cancer and other childhood catastrophic diseases in the U.S. – as a national project. As a result of ESA’s enthusiastic response to a heartfelt personal appeal by the hospital’s founder Danny Thomas, the hospital became ESA’s first internationally supported charity.
Thousands of children each year are treated at the hospital regardless of their ability to pay. Through public contributions, the hospital covers all medical costs not covered by insurance, and covers all costs for families without insurance.
ESA is the hospital’s largest third-party donor. In 2015, ESA celebrated reaching the threshold of over $200 million in cash and pledges to support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Through its annual fundraising campaign, ESA’s network of almost 800 chapters generates more than $15 million in cash and pledges to create cures for children. Additionally, each year, ESA leaders and members receive training to support and enhance their fundraising efforts on behalf of the hospital.
ESA members participate in a variety of events to raise funds for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Some events are created and promoted by ESA, while others are held in coordination with the hospital’s regional offices. Examples include:
- ESA Bunco events: Organize or participate in Bunco events or partner with local Bunco groups to have fun and raise money for the hospital. Click for details on hosting an event.
- TEAM ESA: During the year, members – individually or as chapters – take part in or sponsor local marathon events for the St. Jude Heroes program. Each December, ESA members from all geographic regions meet in Memphis to participate in Memphis Marathon 5K, half marathon, and full marathon races. Contact for more information.
- ESA’s Annual IC Challenge: Every July at the International Council Convention, ESA members participate in a special challenge event to support the hospital. The theme and event challenge activities vary each year, but the support for individuals who raise $200 or more for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital remains consistent.
- Other events: ESA members and chapters have created other ways to raise money for the hospital. Examples of successful fundraisers include paint and pour parties, bowlathons, fishing or golf tournaments, mystery parties, and supper and auction events are located in the Make a Difference section of the member center. Log In here for additional ideas and event plans. Click Here for instructions on setting up an online fundraising page for your event.
ESA chapters also assist the regional offices of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital by volunteering to support radiothons, Dream Home events, gala dinners, and other community events. For information on regional events in which ESA volunteers are participating, contact ESA
Change lives – including your own.
Join today. Participate on your terms. Make a positive and long-lasting difference.